Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Retro Review: Necessary Roughness (1991)




When a drug scandal tears down the made-for-film football team of Texas State, recruitment has take a step outside of the ordinary. The movie centers around thirty-four-year-old Paul Blake (Scott Bakula) who was a high school football star but walked away from the game when some personal things happened in his life. Blake still has some college eligibility left and guess who comes calling? The Texas State Armadillos.

The premise is pretty ridiculous and, as of 2016, been done at least five times that I can think of off the top of my head. The entire team gets cut. Bring in the scrubs. I know, it's supposed to be a comedy and I preach all the time about suspending your disbelief, but I can't let this slide without docking a few points. Flag on the play. I have an immense respect for professional athletes of all sports. It takes a tremendous amount of talent to be able to produce at such a high level. So, when I see random dudes just showing up on the field (some after being in hiatus for over a decade), it feels somewhat disrespectful to the Peyton Mannings and the Lebron James' of the world. At 39, even Peyton isn't the same player he used to be and that's after years of being on the field. But you mean to tell me that a has-been can just step on the field and ball out of his mind? Erroneous.

This probably all sounds like I hated the movie, but the joke's on you. At the end of the day, it does what it sets out to do: be funny. Guys like Rob Schneider and Sinbad provide great comic relief. Even a young Jason Bateman steps into his role well and helps with a few laughs.They give you a reason to root for this group of has-beens and never-will-be's.

Yes, it's been done before and yes it's very unbelievable. Throw all that to the side and you have a film with funny and a little bit of heart underneath. I give it an 81.

No comments:

Post a Comment