Saturday, February 20, 2016

Deadpool (2016) Movie Review




Among the numerous things that Guardians of the Galaxy did right was the way they seamlessly incorporated comedy into an action sci-fi film. The movie wasn't centered around being funny, but it was a beautifully added bonus. Deadpool succeeds in the same sense. The jokes are in abundance, but I was never railroaded, meaning I never felt like the movie was trying to be something it wasn't or that it was trying too hard. One minute you're laughing and the next your eyes are perked up in surprise. In a couple of instances, you'll be doing both simultaneously. I mean it when I say the movie grabs you from the opening credits right down to the final clips after the closing credits.

It's hugely successful in large part due to the awesome cast. Ryan Reynolds provided the perfect sarcasm and wit to play the role he screwed up in the first Wolverine movie. The humor goes without saying, but I have to give him his kudos for the more emotional parts as well. Reynolds wasn't alone in his great acting efforts. Colossus played by Stefan Kapicic was probably my second-favorite. He's a super strong mutant made entirely of metal that is essentially the yin to Deadpool's yang. Colossus is trying the entire movie to recruit Deadpool to the superhero side of things while Deadpool just continues to wreck shop. Their on-screen contrast reminds me of why I found the Rush Hour movies to be so entertaining. Karan Soni's character Dopinder was another on-screen personality that had me cracking up.

The action doesn't disappoint by any means. Deadpool is a mercenary with superior fighting skills and an ultra-fast healing ability very similar to that of Wolverine. Him taking damage while dishing it out leads to a lot of violence and a whole lot of blood. Think of it as John Wick meets Kill Bill

As I mentioned earlier, the movie packs a bit of heart, although maybe not quite as much as Guardians. You quickly come to hate the antagonist (for reasons you'll understand while viewing the film) and find yourself fully behind Deadpool's efforts to succeed as the story progresses. Deadpool is more than just a killer with a mouth, but there are emotional ties behind his madness that the viewer can appreciate.

When Wade Wilson contracts terminal cancer in multiple parts of his body, he agrees to an experiment as a last ditch effort that is not only supposed to cure him, but give him amazing abilities as well. But it comes at a cost...Enter Deadpool, the Merc With the Mouth. I thought about bringing my eleven-year-old son with me to the premiere, but, after watching it, I'm beyond glad I didn't. I knew from the trailers there was a strip club scene, but what I didn't expect was that...and that and...Well, you just have to go and check it out for yourself.

I do have one con and, honestly, it's my own fault more than anything. The marketing team for the movie did a lot of load-blowing in the trailer. Although there are still gobs of unseen funny parts to go around, I do wish they had saved as much as possible for the film. She me the calf now, I can see the thigh later. Small gripe for an otherwise amazing film. One of my favorite Marvel films yet. Mr. Pool, you get a 97.

No comments:

Post a Comment