Sunday, February 14, 2016

Anomalisa (2015) Movie Review



Anomalisa is an animated story about an aging self-help author by the name of Michael Stone (voiced by David Thewlis). Michael is in Cincinnati promoting his newest book and the audience gets to follow him on this journey as he deals with ghosts of his past, present, and future. Honestly, that's about as interesting as I can make it.

That was the biggest con I have by far: the movie just wasn't all that interesting. For whatever reason, almost every scene seems drawn out, way too long to provide any lasting intrigue. In one of the first scenes for example, Michael is in a cab on his way to his hotel. The scene consists of a conversation with the cab driver and nothing more. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but it was long enough for it to quickly lose appeal. I don't think directors Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson could have gotten away with this had this been a live-action movie.

The critics have given this movie rave reviews and I just don't quite see it. Maybe I need to watch it again, but the thought of sitting through those long scenes again just doesn't appeal to me in the least. I give Anomalisa a 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment