Sunday, May 6, 2018

Game Night (2018) Movie Review

Image result for game night film



When I first saw the trailer for Movie Night, I thought there's no way this can be good.  A comedy about a traditional game night that turns deadly? I'm good. It's films like these that make me thankful for Moviepass as it affords me more of an opportunity to roll the dice. In any event, that's a long-winded way of me saying this film was pretty good!

Acting: 10
Jason Bateman plays the role of Max, the usual game night host. He's typically even-keeled in his performances which is what makes his angry, flustered moments so hilarious to watch on screen. He knows exactly how to respond to the moment that he's in which makes his character believable and real even if the situation is preposterous.  Meanwhile Rachel MacAdams excels in her role as Annie, adding even more hilarity to big moments with her innocent flare. The two together make a dynamic pair.

The film sees great success with a notable supporting cast. There are a number to choose from, but my personal favorite secondary performance came from Billy Magnussen in his role as Ryan. He tends to be the most oblivious person on screen and it works in such a funny way.

Beginning: 10
I like what they did here. A quick intro to all of the characters and what has kept their bond so strong. It's funny and gets you into the story immediately.

Characters: 10
You can't have a good comedy without great characters and I challenge you not to love this whole crew. As I mentioned earlier, Annie and Max make the film great while the supporting characters add on to the film's foundation. I'll stop here as I want you to get a chance to experience these characters firsthand like I did.

Cinematography/Visuals: 7

Conflict: 10
A couple of twists and turns keep the film from getting stale. You're interested the entire film, especially during the moments when you're not sure whether it's all real or just a ruse. I love that the film never takes itself too seriously, going full in on the laughs even during the most intense action sequences.

Genre: 7

Memorability: 8
Sure the film was funny as it was supposed to be. What gives it the extra boost, however, is the fact that it dares to go past funny at times and explore the issues that are going on with the characters. All the players here are dealing with their own demons and, before the film is done, there is closure of some sort for each of them. Nothing says working through your problems like surviving gun fights and high-intensity car chases.

Pace: 8
There a couple of points where the film got stale for me, but it did very little to ruin my overall enjoyment. Between the numerous comedic moments and the occasional tonal shift, there was more than enough here to hold my attention. A consistent delight from beginning to end.

Plot: 7

Resolution: 10
Expected, but good nonetheless. And fitting.

Overall: 87
When it comes to comedies, I appreciate when films try and branch out and try something different. Not only does Game Night go the extra mile, but it succeeds in doing so. High entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment