Friday, May 4, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) Movie Review (SPOILER-FREE)

Image result for avengers infinity war



After watching Avengers: Infinity War, I'm still scratching my head wondering how Marvel Studios was able to pull off such a grand-scale movie. When it comes to superhero films, this one is epic. It's a battle for all the marbles as Earth's mightiest heroes (and then some) face off against Thanos who is hell-bent on destroying (half) the universe.

Acting: 10

Beginning: 10
Infinity War doesn't even try to give you a chance to breathe. The first ten minutes is like a gut-punch: A very cool, jaw-dropping gut-punch. My emotions were like a rollercoaster: I was shocked, giddy, and a bit dismayed all at the same time. The first ten minutes sets you up properly for what you can expect to see later on.

Characters: 10
When I say, the gang is all here, I mean the GANG IS ALL HERE. What Marvel Studios has done such a great job of over the last decade is making sure the character's comic book personality translates to the big screen. For whatever reason, I expected some of that to be lost with such a large-scale movie, but I was dead wrong. The personalities here react exactly how you would expect them too in various scenes and situations. Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is still kind of a dick. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) still thinks he has all the answers. Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) tiptoes around like he doesn't have a raging Hulk inside of him. The thing that first captured your hearts about each one of these characters shines through in each of them throughout the film.

I can't bring up characters without mentioning big bad-ass Thanos (Josh Brolin). He bleeds evil, but he does so with a controlled rage that's just plain terrifying at times. He commands the screen in every single scene he's in. A dominant force with brains to match. I will say this once: Thanos is the baddest villain I've ever seen on the screen. 

Cinematography/Visuals: 10
This film literally spans across the galaxy. Each planet has its own unique feel and vibe that help establish the tone. Back on Earth, the battle spans across multiple cities and setpieces. 

Special Effects? Top notch. Beautiful combination of powers working in tandem from the metaphysical to pure, brute strength. Infinity War is definitely a feast for the eyes.

Conflict: 10

Genre: 10
One of the greatest superhero films ever done. Period. Not just because of the epic scale of the film, but because the film dares to do something that no superhero film has ever done before.

Memorability: 10
This film will stand the test of time if nothing else but for it's intense battle sequences that feature hosts of unlikely team-ups. There are a few surprises that keep the film exciting and fresh that I can't elaborate on. Not only is it groundbreaking in its scope, but it also dabbles in having a slight message (yes, two Marvel films in a row with a message!) and questions the lines of good vs. evil as we saw in Black Panther. It hits you with an emotional blow that will leave you stunned in points. By the end of it, you'll want to see it again.

Pace: 10
For a movie that flirts with being almost three hours, there sure is something always going on. I was never bored, not for a moment. When the intense fighting dies down, you're treated to hilarious quips between superheroes, one after the other. The film doesn't let the dire stakes of what's happening bog things down. Credit to the Russo Brothers for making this happen.

Plot: 8

Resolution: 10
Very controversial ending, but I loved it. You might see it coming, but it won't surprise you any less. I can honestly say that I've only seen this type of ending in one other film, but I can't mention said film for fear of giving things away. All I can say is it felt just right somehow.

Overall: 98
Avengers: Infinity War was everything I could have hoped for and then some. I'm sure I will be seeing it again before it leaves theaters. This is a superhero film that will stick with you for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment