Sunday, December 24, 2017

Movies 365: The Intro

Image result for death proof




"Wait a minute, you mean to tell me you haven't seen The Usual Suspects? What about Wargames? No? Are you serious right now? Ok, but you've seen Bull Durham, though, right? What? How can you call yourself a movie critic and you haven't seen the classics?"

To anyone that knows of my blog, my love for movies or both, I feel like I have this conversation at least once a week with someone new. No, I have not seen a lot of movies that I probably should have seen if I'm going to call myself a true critic. Yes, you would be surprised by the things that I still need to see all the way through from beginning to end.

Enter 2018: Phillip McSween's Year of 365 Days of Movies. No, that's not a typo. Yes, you read that right. One movie every single day in 2018. On some days, I'm even crazy enough to double feature it up.

Pretty daunting, I know. Why am I doing this, you ask? A few reasons:

1. I love movies. I have decided in 2018 that I want to focus more on the things that I love doing ie watching movies and writing. This will hold me to a standard.

2. I don't know anyone close to me that has attempted something like this. I like trying new things that not many people are known for. I'm sure full-time critics would laugh at me as they probably watch 4-5 movies a day. Guess what? I don't do this for a living. I have a full-time job too so this would definitely be an accomplishment of sorts.

3. It gives me something fun and unique to look forward to every single day.

4. As I mentioned earlier, I want to check off a bunch of movies that I "need" to see in my lifetime. This will be a good start.

5. I also want to go back and re-review movies that I feel I scored way too high in the past. What the hell was I thinking when I gave Spider-Man 3 a 96 anyway?

6. My ultimate goal is to become a Rotten Tomatoes critic. In order to do that, I have to have a certain number of unique visitors to my site per month. I think a stunt like this just might do the trick, or at least be a step in the right direction.

I have reached out to to my Facebook family for suggestions as well as asked around to people I know. I would love to hear your feedback on what movies I NEED to see in 2018. The schedule still has some availability but it's filling up quickly! Also, if you want to be involved with the experience by watching one of the movies either with me or on the same day and we discuss it, I would love that too! It would be nice to have some guest features and share the spotlight.

So I'm doing this. No turning back. It's happening. I'm looking forward to Instagramming the whole experience and blogging it here. Join me! It's going to be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment