Thursday, September 8, 2016

Sausage Party (2016) Movie Review

Image result for sausage party

The antagonist in Sausage Party is a douche. No, literally. It was touches like these that definitely gave the movie a unique feel. It's an experience you will walk out of saying, "Never seen that before." Between the racial spats amongst a Jewish bagel and a Palestinian flatbread and a crazy, transdimensional, trippy ending, there are a lot of interesting touches to note in the movie. By the time it was all said and done, I can't tell if lead writers Kyle Hunter and Ariel Shaffir put a lot of time into creating this insane world or if they were just very very high when they banged out the script.

The problem with Sausage Party definitely wasn't its creativity. They did their job there. The movie itself just wasn't all that funny to me. Don't get me wrong, it elicited a handful of laughs from me and there were others around me that seemed to laugh plenty. Overall, though, I didn't have nearly as much fun as I had hoped.

I've seen raunchy and I've enjoyed it. It's a different type of comedy, the type that makes you cringe and laugh at the same time. It's also the type that makes you say, "He said it...but I was thinking it." Raunchy only works however within the confines of a good overall product. Raunchy doesn't work when it's so outlandish and over-the-top that you can't really focus on anything else. There were times in Sausage Party where I felt like I was watching a sketch comedy show starring the cast of "Jackass". Mind you, "Jackass" is hilarious for what it is, but no one is rushing to turn that kind of comedy into an actual movie.

The ending (which I won't give away) seemed to come out of left field and had me somewhat scratching my head. They hammered home a message then said screw that message and did something completely different. I guess it's really no different from the rest of the movie which was totally random.

It's a bit ironic that a movie that revolves around talking food has no taste. If you want to see a movie about a hot dog on an adventure to prove that humans are out to destroy all things edible, this might be the movie for you. But not if you're squeamish. And probably after a few drinks. Or drugs. You get the point.

I give Sausage Party a 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment