Friday, September 16, 2016

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) Retro Review

Image result for master and commander: the far side of the world

I wanted so desperately not to like Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, I really did. It's a historical piece that takes place on the ocean. Strikes one and two. However, with every minute that passed, I found myself more and more intrigued, sucked in by the great aspects of the movie that I couldn't deny.

Based on two novels by Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander centers around Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his command of the ship the HMS Surprise. After spotting a renegade French ship, Aubrey and his crew embark on a mission to intercept the ship and take it out.

Yes, there were some things I didn't like about the film, but I think that was more of me trying to settle in to actually allow myself to enjoy it. Once I resigned myself fully, I couldn't get enough. Don't believe me, give it a shot and find out!

I'm a fan of solid endings, especially one with a slight twist. Master and Commander achieves that and further succeeds by ending on just the right note. The movie could have gone on for another twenty minutes but director Peter Weir was clever in knowing that it didn't need to.

There's way more to love about this movie than just the ending, though. The beginning is just as strong as it takes you immediately into action. Solid visualizations give you a feel for the action right as its happening, making it somehow seem like you're there on the HMS Surprise too. Finally, the film seems to have a great depiction of what it's like to live and fight on a warship. It's literally all hands on deck as the kids are just as involved as the adults. Call me twisted, but it definitely put a smile on my face watching a kid, who could have passed for seven, bust a cap in one of Napoleon's goons. Good stuff.

You'll have to excuse me for not watching this sooner. In 2003, I was a nineteen-year-old kid stuck in my own movie world, obsessed with films like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Amazing movie, but also a safe bet. As I'm starting to come out of my comfort zone, I'm happy to stumble upon movies like Master and Commander. I can see now why it gave Return of the King such a run for its money at the Oscars. Not quite as good, but definitely great in its own right. I give it an 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment