Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Triple 9 (2016) Movie Review


Triple 9 is the story of a gang of four who get caught up with the Russian mob and have to perform heists to appease them. The catch: two of the four are cops. There's one heist left and the only way they think they can pull it off is by killing a fellow cop--Code 999 in cop language. No matter who's side you're on, this movie will leave a bad taste in your mouth which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I will elaborate more in a bit. That being said, it's films like these that make me sit on my reviews for awhile. Once I can finally process what I saw and how it made me feel, I can make an informed decision.

I was surprised by the lack of action in the film as the trailers really played it up as being balls-to-the-wall. The movie relies mostly on the cast which is a good one. Anthony Mackie continues to show his range and really impressed me here playing one of the cops Marcus Belmont. He is conflicted throughout the film. Are they doing the right thing? Is this something they can even get away with? Is there a better way? You sympathize with him and you hate him at the same time. It's the same with mostly all of the characters. What you're seeing is not just, "I'm a bad guy, let me prove it to you", but rather, "I want to be good but here's why I can't be.." or "I'm a bad guy with enough redeeming qualities for you to be fond of me." The deeper you dive into the film, you know things have to shake out a certain way, but you can't decide if that's ok or not.

I will say, the action, when it does come, is quite intense and pretty cool to watch. Overall, the movie was enjoyable enough. I liked it. Just didn't quite love it. I give it a 78.

No comments:

Post a Comment