Thursday, March 3, 2016

Speed Review: Hail Caesar! (2016)



The Coen Brothers seem to have a knack for subtle humor. While I certainly appreciate all types of humor, it takes that subtle humor a little bit longer for me to process. Days after viewing Hail, Caesar!, I finally came to the conclusion that the movie was actually pretty well done overall. 

Sometime in the 1950's, movie star Baird Whitlock (George Clooney) has been kidnapped right off of a movie set. It's up to Eddie Mannix (Josh Brolin), one of the studio heads, to figure out what happened and find a way to get Whitlock back. What ensues is a number of funny events that drives the film to its somewhat unexpected conclusion.

The cast is incredible and really drive the film. Reporter twins Thora and Thessaly (Tilda Swinton) are my personal favorite. Between the strong cast, comedy, and intrigue I feel comfortable recommending this as a movie you definitely want to see at some point. My wife is going to be surprised by my score (because she probably thought I hated it), but I give Hail, Caesar! a solid 83.

No comments:

Post a Comment