Friday, July 27, 2018

Surf's Up (2007) Movie Review

Image result for surf's up
I feel like I'm fairly "In the Know" when it comes to films. I make it my business to know all the upcoming films, but this one definitely snuck under my radar even all these years later. A solid film for the entire family, I only wish I had caught this one sooner. It's the story of penguin Cody Maverick (Shia LaBeouf)and his journey to win top surfer at the World Surfing Championship in Hawaii.

Acting: 10
Great cast of voice actors led by LaBeouf. The voices breathe life into each character giving them their own flair. Jeff Bridges seems to always find a way to be the shining moment in almost every film he's in.

Beginning: 10

Characters: 10

Cinematography/Visuals: 10
Some of the best animation I have seen in film, hands down. The colors are bright and vivid, teeming with life. Where the visuals really shine are during the surfing scenes. There appears to be so much care that went into the water and wave animation and it pays off on screen. I can't wait to watch this film on a 4K television.

Conflict: 10

Genre: 8

Memorability: 6

Pace: 8

Plot: 10
If a penguin surfing isn't original enough for you, the story as a whole is enough to keep you entertained. Has there ever been an animated film about surfing period, let alone surfing animals? Not sure, but this film captured its essence well while respecting the sport.

Resolution: 10

Overall: 92
With a hilarious opener, classic characters, and Joe the Chicken (trust me, you'll love him), this film is a home run. Great movie for a family night.

No comments:

Post a Comment