Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The McSween Rating System: How I Rate Movies

Image result for edge of tomorrow



You gave that movie THAT rating? Where in the world did you come up with that number? How in the world did that movie not get a higher rating?

I hear it all the time, ESPECIALLY with fan-favorite movies that I'm expected to love and don't. It's funny, I honestly feel that sometimes people think I'm pulling a random number out of my butt. The truth of the matter is, I actually have a pretty deep rating scale that I use as my bible to determine what movie gets what score. Based on feedback from you guys, I've decided on a couple of things:

1. I need to share my McSween Rating System with you so you'll know what draws my attention and what makes my skin crawl.
2. Moving forward, I'm going to change the format of my reviews to revolve around this rating scale. My hope is that my reviews will be more cohesive, people will have a better understanding of where I'm coming from, and my reviews will ultimately be a quicker read. I'm experimenting with this so it could change, but I'm all about improving my process and making things better.

So, without further ado...

McSween Rating System
1. Acting (+10): Is it believable? Is it moving? Is it consistent from the main roles down to the supporting roles? Example: Atomic Blonde got a perfect score for me for a solid acting job. Not only does Charlize Theron kill it in her role, but the supporting roles are strong as well, not diminishing the film.

2. Beginning (+10): Does it come out of the gates swinging? Example: The first ten minutes of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo gets you sucked in immediately. You want to make the full journey the film has to offer. Exceptional example of a 10.

3. Characters (+10): Do they have depth? Are they memorable? Solid motive? Example: Ghostbusters got a 10 for having a cast of characters that were each different in their own way which ultimately gave the film variety.

4. Cinematography/Visuals (+10): Are there a lot of cool shots that stand out? Example: I appreciated the visuals for Central Intelligence enough to give it a 10 in that category. Recreating Dwayne Johnson as a fat teenger was both hilarious and incredible at the same time. As a whole also, I loved the way the film was shot.

5. Conflict (+10): This includes action sequences. I'm looking for enough conflict to keep me motivated to continue to watch the film. Example: Sure Star Wars: Episode I--The Phantom Menace had its shortcomings. I was sold on the action sequences, however, from the pod race to the massive fish encounter in the ocean abyss. Even moreso, the Darth Maul fight scene is still one of the most classic fight scenes done in film. Intensity to the max!

6. Genre (+10): How does it hold up in its own genre compared to other films? Example: You can't think comedy without thinking of classic films like Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Not just one of the best 80's comedies, but one of the best comedies of all time. Perfect 10 here.

7. Memorability (+10): Here, I'm looking for the film's capability to stand the test of time. I take into account things like a film's overall message, memorable scenes, twists, and its ability to break new ground. If it leaves me wanting more and impacts me from an emotional standpoint, chances are it will score perfect. This is what separates good films from the classics. Example: This category has Edge of Tomorrow written all over it. The film as a whole provides one memorable scene after the next. There are some cool twists involved and it also breaks new ground on the recurring day genre. Perfect 10.

8. Pace (+10): I need to see consistency from beginning to end. No lulls. Lulls are like speed bumps. They slow down my interest. Example: Loved the pace of Good Will Hunting. It doesn't slow down or trip over itself. It remains just right which was why I gave it a perfect score in that category.

9. Plot (+10): I look for believability. Where are the holes? Ideally, I look for something unique, even if it's something traditional done in a non-traditional way. I want to be intrigued. I also look for realism in the plot. I want the plot to be motivated by characters and not some random force. No corn, no cheese. Just a solid plot. Example: Say what you want about the film as a whole, Ted 2 definitely benefited from having an original plot. Just funny enough to work which was why I gave it a 10 in that category.

10. Resolution (+10): I want a good ending, nothing drawn out or overdone. Just right. Example: I gave Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter a 10 because its ending was not only solid, but it got straight to the point. There was a completion that I appreciated.

There you have it. The McSween Rating System. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment