Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The 39 Steps (1935) Movie Review

Image result for the 39 steps



Admission #1: I loved this film.
Admission #2: It was a little confusing in spots which made it hard at times for me to be fully immersed.
Admission #3: The second admission probably had a lot to do with the fact that I was extremely tired after having run a full day on two hours of sleep.

The 39 Steps succeeded in keeping me interested because of its intriguing premise. It wasn't twenty minutes of watching before I knew there was no way I was going to miss this ending. The film is shrouded in mystery as the main characters run for their lives from location to location holding on to a secret they're not even sure of. The twist is clever and not over-the-top. You can feel it building throughout the entirety of the film. The payoff is definitely worth it. 

A man in London tries to help a counterespionage agent. When the agent is killed and he stands accused, he must go on the run to both save himself and also stop a spy ring trying to steal top secret information. Robert Donat is a joy to watch playing the role of main character Richard Hannay. His charm and humor make him instantly likable.

I love when films like The 39 Steps give me yet another reason to appreciate the classics. I give it a very solid 95.

No comments:

Post a Comment