Monday, January 29, 2018

Jude (1996) Movie Review

Image result for jude 1996


Set in the late 1800's, Jude Fawley (Christopher Eccleston) leaves his country home to enroll in a university and finds a taboo love in the process. It's somewhat ironic that I'm reviewing this just after my dog vomited because the story unfolds just as slowly. Just as I screamed "Just do it already!" to my beagle, I felt Jude could have gotten to the point a little faster. I have some ideas about how this could have been accomplished, but I can't share them without spoiling the film.

The slow progression of the plot would have been fine had the ending been stronger. The last twenty minutes were a whirlwind and not in a good way. If the film is an unsettling ice cream sundae, the ending was an ugly cherry that tastes as bad as it looks.

For what it's worth, the story is definitely intriguing with simple, yet complex details. It's weird, yet somehow heartwarming. Despite my dislike for the film as a whole, Eccleston and Kate Winslet both played phenomenal roles. Two performances that were almost enough to carry the film.

Not quite. I give Jude a 67.

No comments:

Post a Comment