Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Joy (2015) Movie Review

Image result for joy film

Joy never fully grabbed me and I wanted it to. Joy (Jennifer Lawrence) is a genius in her own right, but the bad breaks and trials of life have prevented her from rising to become anything more than a struggling matriarch trying to keep her entire family from killing each other. After coming up with a brilliant idea she decides to throw her all at it to make her dreams come true.

On paper, it sounds like just the movie I would fall in love with. However, it gets off to a very slow start due to some chronological jumbling. While I was still able to follow along just fine, I found my interest waning.

The payoff at the ending didn't do much to satisfy the bad taste in my mouth. I was frustrated for Joy throughout the film all the while rooting for her success. In the end, it just wasn't quite what I was hoping it would be.

I did think the film was aided by some very strong acting performances. Whether you loved them or hated them, everyone played their roles extremely well. There were also a handful of surprises over the course of the film that managed to keep me engaged.

Would I watch this again? Sure. Do I need to? Meh. I give Joy a 76.

No comments:

Post a Comment