Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017) Movie Review

Image result for the hitman's bodyguard


Due to the underwhelming consensus from critics, I was going to pass on The Hitman's Bodyguard. Then a beautiful invention named Moviepass showed up and I decided to add this gem to my theater queue. The result? A wonderful moviegoing experience that I would have otherwise missed.

I'll put it simply: The film is just good fun. It will never blow you away or make you say, "Wow." Where it succeeds begins with the cast. Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds are a match made in heaven. Their comedic styles clash in the film throughout producing some awesome moments. Ryan Reynold's character Michael Bryce expresses himself through sheer frustration with the whole ordeal while Jackson's character Darius Kincaid will have you cracking up with his mastery of profanity. Personally, I thought both of their performances paled in comparison to the smaller role that Salma Hayek played as Sonia Kincaid. Every scene she appears in gives you another reason to burst into laughter. Her fire and pure rage is priceless.

Besides its comedy, the film is packed with action from beginning to end. Dead moments were rare which I appreciated. These scenes may not reinvent the wheel, but there are a couple moments that stand out above your typical action movie.

Yes, I read what the critics have been saying and some of it I agree with. The action, while awesome, is pretty formulaic. Don't expect a lot of surprises. The film is also a bit cheesy in spots. These are typically moments where I thought the dialogue between Jackson and Reynolds could have been a bit tighter. It is a film that is perfectly content with staying in its swim lane and I'm ok with that.

The plot is pretty straightforward. Darius Kincaid is a contract killer who is needed to testify in court against a major corrupt politician. Michael Bryce has been assigned with keeping him alive until his day in court.

What ensues is pure hilarity. Extremely happy that I gave this movie its fair shake. I give it a 91.

No comments:

Post a Comment