Thursday, August 17, 2017

Atomic Blonde (2017) Movie Review

Image result for atomic blonde

My one gripe of Atomic Blonde is solely based on what my expectations of the film were. I expected a knock-down, drag-out fight from beginning to end, nothing but high octane action. What I got instead was a clever spy film with loads of action in between. So clever that I found myself having to pay more attention than I was hoping to. Fair warning now, if you're going to see Atomic Blonde, keep both eyes open or you could miss something important.

Atomic Blonde hits hard while being sexy and sleek at the same time. I think this pretty much sums up Charlize Theron's character Lorraine in a nutshell. She is quite the beast in this movie. I have never seen someone kick so much butt and look seemingly disinterested with the whole affair at the same time. She's the kind of person that you'd want to have along for a drink while always being in fear of saying the wrong thing. Theron commands the role as the female hero, even moreso in my humble opinion than Gadot with Wonder Woman. While both can be applauded for doing exceptional jobs, I have to give the butt-kicking award to Lorraine.

The plot is smooth with a handful of bumps in the road. There are just enough twists and enough intrigue that keep things moving along without muddling things too badly. Theron plays the role of hardcore spy Lorraine who is on assignment in Berlin to take down an espionage ring. What ensues among deceit and lies are long, well-directed actions sequences that show how well Lorraine can take a punch.

And boy does she take a lot of them. It's one of the most noticeable things to love about the movie, the fact that Lorraine can not only hang with the big boys, but she surpasses them in every way. She is as ruthless as John Wick and as nimble of foot as Black Widow. She gets hit (and hard), but manages to bounce back and destroy her opposition. Girl power at its finest.

Shot in an interesting contrast of grittiness and bright colors, Atomic Blonde is another awesome work by director David Leitch. I give it a 90.

No comments:

Post a Comment